About the Author: Emma loves to have dogs as her pets and with so much knowledge about dogs, she started MyPetDoggie.com to share it with other dog lovers and parents. She is a Pet Specialist and Pet Behavior Analyst, who studied at the University of South Dakota.
In a globe, where time is passing away quickly, there exists a group of remarkable companions that are indeed the champions of longevity and provide unforgettable memories due to their huge lifespan. Still confused? We are literally going to discuss 23 of them and as I say mostly, “Fasten your seatbelts!”
As I said earlier the topic of today’s discussion is “23 dog breeds that live the longest” I hope that after reading the term “longest” in the title, you may not assume that I will disclose the breeds that are capable of living hundreds of years, buddies its 20th century not the stone age.
23 Dog Breeds That Live The Longest
Following are the names of such breeds along with a brief explanation of each of them. I hope that after going through all of them below you will find an improvement in your knowledge relative to various dog breeds. So, without wasting your time let’s shake hands and jump into this necessary information that every dog enthusiast must know.
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Shetland Sheepdog
- Border Collie
- Bichon Frise
- Australian Cattle Dog
- Lhasa Apso
- Shih Tzu
- Cairn Terrier
- Miniature Pinscher
- Jack Russel Terrier
- Scottish Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Italian Greyhound
- Chinese Crested
- Toy Poodle
- Rat Terrier
Their lifespan on average is 12-20 years. Eyes are expressive and dark with erect ears. They have a wide range of coat colors doubt they are small in size but they have really big personalities. They are loyal and energetic. Their cute little appearance is what most of the dog lovers crave for.
Quick facts about Chihuahuas:
- Chihuahuas are one of the world’s smallest dog breeds.
- They originated in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.
- Chihuahuas are one of the most frequently stolen breeds.
- They come in both smooth and long-coat varieties.
- Chihuahuas are known for their strong loyalty and big personalities.
They have a lifespan of 2-16 years and are also known as”weiner dogs” They are masters in hunting due to their skills and sharp nature and possess friendly personalities. Their joyful nature makes them an excellent option for those who are looking for family pets. The loyalty and appearance of this breed are famous in many regions of the world.
Quick facts about Dachshunds:
- Dachshunds, known as “wiener dogs,” were originally bred for hunting in Germany.
- They come in three coat types: smooth, longhaired, and wirehaired.
- Dachshunds are characterized by their elongated bodies and short legs.
- They are playful and curious, making them great family pets but sometimes stubborn.
- Dachshunds are prone to back problems due to their long spines.
Their average lifespan is 12-15 years. They are famous for their bushy eyebrows and human-like impressions. Their coat requires grooming on a regular basis as it gets messy within no time. Their friendly and sociable nature makes them excellent pets for families.
Quick facts about Miniature Schnauzers:
- Miniature Schnauzers are a small and energetic breed that originated in Germany.
- They are known for their distinctive beards, bushy eyebrows, and wiry, double coats.
- Miniature Schnauzers are friendly, and intelligent, and make excellent family pets and watchdogs.
- They come in three coat colors: salt and pepper, black and silver, and solid black.
- Regular grooming is essential to maintain their iconic appearance, which includes periodic beard trimming.
Beagles have a lifespan of 12-15 years. They are small to medium-sized dogs. Their personality is friendly and their appearance is distinctive. They have an exceptional sense of smell which makes them an excellent source in search operations and hunting. Their coat is dense and comes in various colors.
Beagles are literally known for their sociable and playful nature which makes them popular for families that are looking for a skilled and friendly breed.
Quick facts about Beagles:
- Beagles are a small hound breed originally bred for hunting in England.
- They are known for their short, easy-to-maintain coat and distinctive howling bay.
- Beagles are friendly, curious, and good with children, making them popular family pets.
- They are scent hounds, known for their exceptional tracking abilities.
- Beagles can be a bit stubborn, so consistent training is important.
They have a lifespan of 12-16 years. They are famous because of their vibrant type of personality. Their weight lies between 1.3kg to 3.1kg. Their fur is thick which requires grooming on a regular basis. Pomeranians are really energetic companions.
If you are the one who can perform these regular grooming sessions then this breed will surely suit you and your personality. Again, they are excellent options for those people who have the energy and time to move along with their energetic personalities.
Quick facts about Pomeranians:
- Pomeranians are a small toy breed originating from the Pomerania region in Europe.
- They are known for their fluffy double coat and fox-like face.
- Pomeranians are lively, and confident, and often have a big personality in a small package.
- Their coat comes in various colors and requires regular grooming.
- Pomeranians can be vocal and make alert little watchdogs.
Shetland Sheepdog has a lifespan of 12-14 years. The breed is intelligent and charming and originated in the mighty islands of Shetland, Scotland. They are medium to small-sized dogs. Their coat is also double-layered giving them a luxurious look. These dogs are renowned for their agility.
Because of their eagerness to please, they try their best to excel in different dog sports as failure is not an option for them. They are born to ace. We all should learn from the devotion they put in their contests.
Quick facts about Shetland Sheepdogs:
- Shetland Sheepdogs, or Shelties, are a herding breed hailing from the Shetland Islands in Scotland.
- They are known for their intelligence, agility, and striking resemblance to Rough Collies, but in a smaller size.
- Shelties have a thick double coat that requires regular grooming.
- They are highly trainable and excel in obedience and agility competitions.
- Shetland Sheepdogs are gentle, and affectionate, and make excellent family pets and watchdogs.
Their average lifespan is 12-15 years. Border Collies are well known because of their exceptional herding techniques. Their weight lies between 13.5 to 21kg. They are well known for their work ethic, problem-solving skills, and energetic nature.
They are exceptional herding dogs. All these qualities make them an exciting option for families that are looking for such qualities.
Quick facts about Border Collies:
- Border Collies are a highly intelligent and energetic herding breed originating from the border region between Scotland and England.
- They are famous for their remarkable herding and obedience skills, often considered the world’s smartest dog breed.
- Border Collies have a distinctive black and white coat but can come in various color combinations.
- They require substantial exercise and mental stimulation to thrive and can excel in dog sports and work.
- Border Collies are known for their intense work ethic and are often used in sheepdog trials and other herding tasks.
The lifespan of Bichon Frise is approximately the same as that of Border Collie but the weight is very less as compared to them i.e. 4.5 to 9 kg in general with the height ranging from 9 to 12 inches.
Their curly white coat has a very soothing feel which gives them a toy-like appearance. Despite their small size, they are very playful and joyful. The coat of this breed is hypoallergenic which means that they are best for those who have allergic issues, literally an exceptional feature it is.
Quick facts about Bichon Frises:
- Bichon Frise is a small, fluffy breed known for its cheerful and friendly disposition.
- They have a curly, hypoallergenic coat that requires regular grooming.
- Bichon Frises are lively, sociable dogs that make great companions for families and singles alike.
- Originally from the Mediterranean, they have a history of being pampered pets of royalty.
- Their name “Bichon Frise” means “curly lap dog” in French, emphasizing their affectionate nature.
Australian Cattle Dog
The Australian Cattle Dog is personally one of my favorites on this list. The lifespan here is 12-16 years. These dogs are medium-sized and originated in Australia and have a height of 17 to 20 inches.
Their coat is weather resistant and requires low maintenance. They have a strong work ethic and try to excel in the world of dog sports. With the help of proper socialization and training sessions, these dogs can become very protective and affectionate companions of humans.
Quick facts about Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler):
- Australian Cattle Dogs were developed in Australia for herding cattle and have remarkable herding abilities.
- They have a distinctive blue or red speckled coat and are known for their boundless energy and agility.
- These dogs are highly intelligent, and loyal, and require plenty of mental and physical stimulation.
- The name “Blue Heeler” comes from their habit of nipping at cattle’s heels to move them.
- Australian Cattle Dogs excel in various dog sports and make excellent working dogs and loyal companions.
The next breed in our discussion is “Lhasa Apso” whose life span ranges from 12 to 15 years. Tibetan monks used to pet such dogs. Their coat is very dense and soft which can come in many colors just like gold and cream.
Lhasa Apsos are famous for their confident and energetic nature. They have an independent mentality. Their coat requires regular grooming as things can become messy without proper care. They are considered to be healthy but can be prone to some genetic diseases like hip dysplasia.
Quick facts about Lhasa Apsos:
- Lhasa Apsos are small, sturdy dogs with a history as sentinel dogs in Tibetan monasteries.
- They have a long, flowing double coat that requires regular grooming.
- Lhasa Apsos are known for their independent and protective nature.
- These dogs are loyal and make loving companions, though they can be a bit aloof with strangers.
- The breed’s name “Lhasa Apso” roughly translates to “bark lion sentinel dog” in Tibetan, highlighting their watchdog history.
Shih Tzu can survive slightly better than the other breeds we have discussed till now. Their lifespan is from 10-18 years. These dogs were highly honored by Chinese royalty. Their eyes are expressive, and their tails give them a luxurious look indeed.
Although their body size is small, they are very confident and friendly in nature. These dogs are supposed to create excellent bonding with their owners. Their simple adaptability makes them an excellent option for those looking for family pets.
Quick facts about Shih Tzus:
- Shih Tzus are a small toy breed known for their long, flowing coat and distinct pushed-in face.
- They were originally bred as companion dogs for Chinese royalty.
- Shih Tzus have a sweet and friendly temperament, making them excellent family pets.
- Their luxurious coat requires regular grooming to keep it in good condition.
- The name “Shih Tzu” means “Lion Dog” in Mandarin, a reference to their lion-like appearance in traditional Chinese art.
Their average lifespan starts from 13 years and ends at 18 years. They have earned a significant place in the bottom of the hearts of dog enthusiasts. Their average weight lies between 6 to 8 kilograms.
Their coat is double-layered and has a weather-resistant texture, sadly we don’t have. The eyes are dark and expressive. One of their most realistic features is their compact body structure.
Quick facts about Cairn Terriers:
- Cairn Terriers are a small, sturdy breed known for their scruffy, weather-resistant coat.
- They originated in the Scottish Highlands and were bred for hunting small game.
- Cairn Terriers are lively and independent dogs with a strong prey drive.
- They make excellent family pets but can be strong-willed and require consistent training.
- The breed is named after the rock cairns used to mark boundaries in the Scottish Highlands, where they hunted.
Their lifespan is 12 to 16 years on average. Miniature Pinschers breed of dog which is famous due to its lively personality. This breed originated in Germany. These dogs are highly energetic and fearless.
Quick facts about Miniature Pinschers:
- Miniature Pinschers, often called “Min Pins,” are a small German breed known for their resemblance to miniature Doberman Pinschers.
- They are spirited and active dogs, often exhibiting a confident and fearless attitude.
- Min Pins have a short, sleek coat that’s easy to maintain.
- These dogs are known for their boundless energy and love for play and exercise.
- They make excellent companions for active individuals or families and are natural watchdogs.
Jack Russel Terrier
They have a lifespan of 13 to 16 years. The Jack Russell Terrier is also simply referred to as “Jack Russell”.
Although this breed is small, it’s still very intelligent and energetic. Jack Russell basically originated in England in the 19th century. They have a compact muscular body with a dense coat having black or tan patches on it.
These terriers are famous because of their sharpness and strong-willed nature. They try to perform better in canine sports and are prone to chasing relatively small-sized animals. Shortly, their work ethics make them one of the most beloved pets for families.
Quick facts about Jack Russel Terriers:
- Jack Russell Terriers are a small, agile breed known for their hunting abilities.
- They have a short, coarse coat and distinctive tri-color markings.
- These dogs are highly energetic, and intelligent, and require regular exercise and mental stimulation.
- They were originally bred for fox hunting, so they have a strong prey drive.
- Jack Russell Terriers are often independent and may have a stubborn streak, requiring consistent training and socialization.
Cockapoos can live between 12 to 18 years. The Cockapoo is a charming and very popular breed of dog that is basically a cross of a Poodle and Cocker Spaniel. They are very friendly and have an affectionate nature.
Cockapoos have various body sizes. Their coat is kind of wavy or curly and also comes in various colors like black, white, and apricot. The texture of their coat is anti-allergic. They are easy to train so with little affection and training sessions you can make them well-trained and friendly.
If we extend our discussion towards temperament, Cockapoos are famous for their adaptability and intelligence. They feel comfortable and happy around humans, especially children. Their popularity is growing day by day which is making them “a breed to consider” in your backyards.
Quick facts about Cockapoos:
- Cockapoos are a popular crossbreed between Cocker Spaniels and Poodles.
- They come in various sizes and coat types, including curly or wavy.
- Cockapoos are known for their friendly and affectionate nature.
- These dogs are often low-shedding, making them a good choice for people with allergies.
- Cockapoos are intelligent and adaptable, making them great companions for families and individuals.
The Basenji is an ancient breed of dog having a lifespan of 12 to 16 years which had a very popular place in history. This breed originated in Central Africa. This breed is also commonly known as “African Barkless Dog” as it doesn’t bark like compared to the other breeds out here. They have a strong body structure and are mostly medium in size.
Their coat is short and comes in various exciting colors like chestnut red and black. They prefer being independent rather than being tied at someplace. The grooming techniques they require are slightly similar to the techniques people use to groom their cats.
Quick facts about Basenjis:
- Basenjis are a small breed known as the “barkless dog” because they rarely bark.
- They originated in Central Africa and were bred for hunting small game.
- Basenjis have a short, sleek coat and distinctive wrinkled forehead.
- These dogs are independent and can be a bit aloof with strangers, but they are loyal to their families.
- Basenjis are highly intelligent and require mental stimulation and exercise to stay happy and healthy.
The Scottish Terrier also known as “Scottie Dog” originated in Scotland. These dogs are very efficient in many ways and have a very spirited type of personality. They have erect ears and a weather-resistant double layer of coat.
Their piercing eyes give them a relatively distinctive look as compared to the other breeds. They are small in size and you will always find them in confident expressions. Always ready to take on challenges! Their lifespan is between 11 to 13 years.
Quick facts about Scottish Terriers:
- Scottish Terriers, or Scotties, are a small, dignified breed hailing from Scotland.
- They are known for their distinctive wiry coat, erect ears, and bushy eyebrows.
- Scotties have a dignified and independent temperament, making them excellent watchdogs.
- Their history includes being favorites of British and American political figures.
- Scottish Terriers are sturdy, loyal, and require consistent training and socialization.
Till yet, we’ve discussed many Terries, and still some to come in our discussion. Boston Terriers are also known as “American Gentleman” due to their gentle nature indeed. Their head is square shaped.
Eyes are also large and expressive. They are considered to be very excellent family pets. They are also very friendly with children due to their lovely nature. Imagine such a lovely creature by your side. Ahh an absolute yes!
They can live from 11-15 years.
Quick facts about Boston Terriers:
- Boston Terriers are a small breed known for their tuxedo-like coat and “American Gentleman” appearance.
- They are one of the few dog breeds developed in the United States.
- Boston Terriers are friendly, and intelligent, and make great family pets.
- They have a short, easy-to-maintain coat with a distinct tuxedo pattern.
- These dogs are known for their charming and lively personality.
The Italian Greyhound also majorly known as “Piccolo Levriero Italiano” has a lifespan of 12-15 years. These dogs resemble a lot with miniature Greyhounds as they also have long legs, athletic build, and graceful narrow heads.
The coat also comes in a variety of colors like blue, black, and fawn. Their ideal body size makes them an excellent option to carry them indoors.
Quick facts about Italian Greyhounds:
- Italian Greyhounds are a small breed known for their slender, elegant appearance.
- They are one of the oldest dog breeds, dating back to ancient Egypt.
- Italian Greyhounds are gentle, and affectionate, and often bond closely with their owners.
- Their short, fine coat requires minimal grooming.
- Despite their delicate appearance, they are active and agile dogs that love to run and play.
Papillon is basically a word taken from the French language which means “butterfly”. They typically weigh between 2.3 kg to 4.5 kg and have a fine-boned body structure. Their average lifespan is between 12 to 16 years mostly white and can have patches of different colors.
Papillons are social animals and are very affectionate in nature. Compared to other pets, they create a better bond with children, and due to this kids feel safe around them.
Quick facts about Papillons:
- Papillons are a small toy breed known for their butterfly-like ears (Papillon means “butterfly” in French).
- They have a fine, silky coat that requires regular grooming.
- Papillons are alert, intelligent, and make excellent companions and show dogs.
- These dogs are highly trainable and excel in obedience and agility.
- They are lively and affectionate, often forming strong bonds with their owners.
Chinese Cresteds’ normal lifespan ranges from 12 to 18 years. They are very charming and famous because of their distinctive appearance. The thing that makes them genuinely different from other breeds is the lack of fur on different parts of their body.
They have the ability to excel in various canine sports to make their owners feel proud. Your dreams can turn into reality guys, pet them ASAP!
Quick facts about Chinese Cresteds:
- Chinese Cresteds are a small breed known for their distinctive appearance, which includes a crest of hair on their heads.
- They come in two varieties: Hairless and Powderpuff, the latter having a full coat.
- Chinese Cresteds are friendly, and alert, and make affectionate companions.
- They are often good for people with allergies due to their minimal shedding.
- These dogs have a playful nature and enjoy both indoor and outdoor activities.
Toy poodles are considered to be very friendly, intelligent, and elegant. Literally one of the frequently discussed breeds. They are lesser in weight as compared to some other breeds. 1.7 to 2.5 kg. Apricot coat color gives them a premium look although there are other colors available. Refined features groom their looks. Toy poodles are very sharp and intelligent and have a lifespan of 12 to 15 years.
Quick facts about Toy poodles:
- Toy Poodles are the smallest variety of Poodles, known for their elegant, compact size.
- They are highly intelligent and excel in various dog sports and activities.
- Toy Poodles have a curly, hypoallergenic coat that requires regular grooming.
- These dogs are known for their lively and affectionate nature.
- They are often favored as companion dogs and can adapt to various living environments.
Finally, we are here with our last breed that is Rat Terrier which has a life expectancy of 15 to 18 years. Rat Terriers originated in the United States. They are medium to small-sized dogs. They were used to control pests and are very expert at doing this job any time of the day. Due to their high energy levels, proper mental stimulation and exercise are compulsory for this breed.
Quick facts about Rat Terriers:
- Rat Terriers are a small breed known for their agility and energy.
- They are excellent hunters and were originally bred for pest control on farms.
- Rat Terriers have a short, low-maintenance coat.
- These dogs are intelligent, alert, and often make loyal family pets.
- They excel in various dog sports, including agility and obedience.
Tips to Help Maximize Your Dog’s Lifespan:
Till yet, we have discussed breeds with competitive lifespans. Heading towards, I will extend our discussion towards ‘Tips to Help Maximize Your Dog’s Lifespan’.Grab your diaries and pens!
Maintaining quality nutrition while feeding your dog can maximize the lifespan of your dog. This step sets the foundation of their healthy lifespan at the beginning of their life. It enhances muscle development which ultimately reduces the risk of injuries. Try to go for branded and quality dog food which can save your pup from life-threatening diseases.
As the days pass, nutrition plays an important role in the nourishment and quality of life of your dog. Shortly, investment in quality nutrition will ease many of the problems of your dog and you will also find yourself in a satisfied phase of your life.
As we know “A sound body has a sound mind”, not only humans, but animals also require some workouts on a daily basis to feel satisfied with what they are. Regular exercise sessions enhance the growth of your dog which ultimately leads to a healthier and longer lifespan for sure. It improves the mental health of your pet in a very significant way.
Managing stress isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Stress management is also important for the proper health of your dog. Stress management can be achieved by following proper routines, a sleep schedule, and improved training sessions.
Taking care of stress management of your dog will lead to creating a strong bond between you and your pet. So, from now on you will take notes regarding this, right?
Balanced hydration is very important for maximizing the lifespan of your dog. Proper and regular intake of water helps in proper digestion and circulation. Ensure that your dog is well hydrated or not.
If you try to follow these tips, I assure you that you will find your pup more energetic and healthier than before. A hydrated body can sweat at a higher level during summer thus providing a cooling effect. Stay hydrated and let them go fellas!
The next tip is related to “Socialization”. It also plays an important role in improving your dog’s health and maximizing its lifespan. Socialization allows them to interact and adjust to different scenarios. Regular interaction helps to reduce stress, anxiety, and other mental problems.
Socialized dogs are more resistant to diseases and have better immune systems as compared to those dogs who are not socialized. Legit socialization at an early age allows you to take notes on the earlier health concerns of your pup so that you can pay attention to them at an earlier stage of their life.
The next tip in this section of discussion is “Regular Grooming” which is one of the most fundamental aspects of dog care. Fur requires regular grooming. Combining your puppy’s fur, and removing the extra hair will give them a big sigh of relief.
This process of grooming after fur extends to shaping nails and cleaning of ears and eyes which helps to reduce strain. Furthermore, you can also consider regular brushing of your dog’s teeth in this aspect.
Maintaining temperature is also important for maximizing your dog’s lifespan. Temperature ranges may vary across different breeds. An environment having normal temperatures can save your dog from heat stroke and hypothermia.
It can provide comfort and help in stress reduction. Respiratory health can also be improved by such necessary adaptations.
Avoid Harmful Foods
Avoiding Harmful Foods for pets is as important for your pup as that for you. The unhygienic, expired or cheap dog foods can lead to many diseases. Digestive disorders can also take place by intake of such foods.
Try to search for the branded dog foods according to your breed. Make sure that the food packets have recent manufacturing dates and are easily available in the market.
This process involves timely vaccinations, and maintaining a balance between diet and exercise.
As we know “Prevention is better than cure” so all these precautionary measures are very helpful for your mental satisfaction as an owner and for the proper growth of your pup.
Regular Mental and Physical Check-ins
Regular mental and physical check-ins can literally help to maximize the lifespan of your dog. These check-ins will make you aware of any critical health issues earlier so that you can work on such issues and consult some competitive doctors related to such issues.
This step will provide comfort to you in a way that you will be familiar with what” ‘s going on with your doggie. Are things going smoothly or not? Such queries will be resolved in a satisfactory way so that you and your pup may feel confident and joyful around each other.
What is the healthiest dog breed?
Well, the answer can adapt to different directions because there is not any specific breed that can be considered healthy. However, Border Collies face fewer health issues. It is important for you guys to note that proper health depends on various factors so there can be variation in healthiness within the same breed if the environment and facilities are not the same. Try to seek proper tips for your breeder.
What dog has the strongest bite?
Rottweilers are considered to have the strongest bite. It is important to note that dogs can be different within the breeds and across the breeds. German Shepherds and Pit bulls also have very sharp and powerful bites.
Do small dogs live longer?
Yes, small breeds, especially the toy breeds tend to live longer as compared to the large breeds. Such breeds can normally range from 12 to 16 years of age. This age barrier can be influenced by many factors like environment, facilities, and proper checks and balances. No doubt controlling is not in our hands but we can try our best right? So that our loved ones can survive a healthy and lively life.
How much food should you feed a dog?
The amount of food varies across different breeds and is dependent on the physical work and requirements. Ensure that the food you are giving to your dog is hygienic and should have a recent manufacturing date. Try to consult any animal doctor if you face any sort of difficulty.
What is the shortest living dog?
The shortest-living dog is a “Chihuahua” that has a lifespan of up to 16 years. Pals, believe my word, for me it is one of the cutest dogs to exist. Want to pet them?
In the world of pets, specifically dogs, the debate of “Which breeds can survive more?” this blog on dog breeds that live the longest has hopefully brought authentic information for all of you. I appreciate the level of trust you guys are showing toward our research-based content till yet.
I have tried my level best to bring precise and valid information for all those who are concerned about such breeds and the necessary measures they can adapt to improve the lives of their four-legged friends. So, fingers have been crossed now