What is the difference between shock collar and e collar?? Did you ever wonder what’s the difference between these two types of collars? Are they even different? In this article, we are going to particularly talk about this topic.
Even some trainers are not able to differentiate between these two types. While many people think of shock collars as a way to deter unwanted behaviors, they can be used to train your dog as well.
A shock collar is a small, battery-operated device that delivers a small electrical current to your dog’s neck. At the same time, the e-collar, which you may have guessed denotes an electric collar, works by producing a high-pitched unpleasant sound.
Of course, we’re not stopping here, we have much to enlighten your knowledge on this topic. If you own a pet you should be aware of these two basic types of collars. And we will additionally share the pros and cons of these two collars so, you can decide which collar is best for your use.
What is the difference between shock collar and e collar?
Below we will share a detailed guide to let you differentiate between shock collar vs e collar types used to train dogs:
Do you know it is also called e-collar? Yes, the shock collar is the term previously given to this kind of collar while e-collar is the modern term.
A static shock collar is a small, battery-operated collar that delivers mild electric shocks to the dog when it receives a breach of leash control. The collar transmits an electric current to the dog’s skin.
Some models of static shock collars also vibrate the dog’s skin in a soothing fashion. While these are also felt like a shock, they are not meant to be as painful as an actual shock from the static shock collar.
The static shock collar is a popular training tool for dogs who have been improperly controlled by their owners. Even though the shock is not meant to be as painful as a Taser, the shock can cause temporary discomfort to the dog.
The shock collar is rightfully called the e-collar as it does transfer an electrical signal to the dog when it misbehaves.
This can be used to increase the dog’s concentration. Start small and work up to longer sessions. Most importantly, be patient! It takes time for the stimulation to work its magic.
The shock is delivered through the collar but with the right approach, it can be used for a variety of purposes. Some of the common uses for a shock collar are correction of bad behavior and training your dog.
This type of training is often more effective than regular dog collars because it is not limited to the stimulation of the nerves in the neck. It includes functions like producing high-pitched sound and vibration etc.
Regular shock collars, on the other hand, only apply electrical shocks when the dog’s behavior is deemed to be inappropriate.
While traditional shock collars work by sending an electric current down the leash, with e-collars you get stronger, more advanced options.
The benefit of E-collar also includes that it is rechargeable. And it won’t leave in between the training session by dropping down its battery. It can be used for up to 70 hours.
The shock levels on stimulation intensity can be controlled with this collar. Some dogs respond well to low-level stimulation, while others respond to a higher level of agitation.
For example, if you have a hyperactive dog, you can increase the amount of stimulation. Similarly, if you have a nervous dog, you can use a gentle approach.
Pros and cons of the shock collar:
Pros of using shock collar:
- It can help correct your dog’s behavior. It has been proven to be one of the most effective dogs training methods.
- It is a very simple and easy-to-use device with a large range of adjustment settings, making it useful for a wide range of different situations.
- It has really Long-lasting battery.
- You don’t need to buy separate collars for your different pets’ temperaments as you adjust the settings to suit your needs.
- Beep functions along with the shock.
Cons of using shock collar:
- Your pet can become habitual to shock collar. This is in case your not using the collar correctly.
- Pets may not be able to feel pain but they can still feel fear or confusion for not finding an apparent reason for the shock.
- You may have to charge the device often, the battery life is less than the battery life of an e-collar.
- You can’t use it on your puppies if not older than 8 weeks.
Pros and cons of e-collar:
Pros of using e-Collar:
- E-collar is very efficient in training your dog.
- With adjustable stimulation, it can be used on different breeds as well as on dogs of different temperaments.
- The shock or stimulation is not immediate but is preceded by a signal.
- It has a very Long-lasting battery.
- It provides a more gentle stimulation, rather than an electric shock.
Cons of using e-Collar:
- You can’t use the collar to train small puppies, and if you use you may not get the perfect outcomes.
- If you’re dealing with a pet who is unruly with electronic devices, you may have to turn to the shock collar, as it may not prove effective.
Shock collar vs e collar, what is the purpose of each collar?
People usually confuse both types of collars. They are different although both are used for training dogs. E-collars are much less stressful on your dog than an electric shock collar and provide an even more gentle approach to training than shock methods.
How to use shock collars to train my dog?
The use of shock collars is not so confusing at all, you can understand the usage even by reading user manual but don’t worry about it, we have your back:
- You need to realize that your dog has a mind of his own. You need to understand his temperament.
- Choose a collar and stimulation level that is easy to use and comfortable for the pet.
- Only use shock when the dog isn’t listening to your commands.
- Puppies are masters at learning when they’re being rewarded, so, using positive reinforcement is essential. Keep the shock secondary stimulant.
- Punishing your dog may seem like a good idea at first, but in the long run, it backfires and actually makes the situation worse.
- A shock collar can cause stress and anxiety in people around pets. So, avoid using it in a close range of other animals or people.
- Keep the collar on only during the training session. Don’t let them wear the collar for longer periods, as it may cause irritation or even injury.
Is a shock collar really effective?
This collar is specifically designed to prevent over-reaction and provide a mild electric shock that’s not going to hurt. The shock is short but effective in training your dog. They can hence avoid unpleasant behavior and act fine.
How to use an e-collar to train my dog?
The usage of e collar isn’t different at all compared to shock collars, here are the following:
- It is important to know the correct way to use an e-collar and what to look for as signs of when the collar is doing its job properly.
- There are certain things that you must do in order to make sure that your dog does not react to an electric shock collar with anxiety and fear. You need to set the collar and stimulation regarding your dog’s breed, weight, and temperament.
- These collars can help you train your puppy to be more cautious around other animals. It also has a beep working as a signal before emitting the shock.
- You may also want to remove any tags or tail tags before adjusting the collar. This is done to make sure the collar is properly fitting your dog and in no way will cause discomfort. The dog may be wearing a collar that is too tight or too loose. It may cause irritation or injury.
- A collar should be removed if it is too hot or raining while the dog is wearing it. The collar should be put away when it is not needed. You need to adjust the stimulation with respect to the weather.
- Provide a comfortable environment for the dog to be exercised in. Fix the timing, they should wear the collar. When the training session ends don’t forget to remove the collar.
- You can reward your pet with a special treat, a pat on the back, or even with a favorite toy. Positive reinforcement is a form of praise that is consistent and non-interfering. Using a collar doesn’t mean you should stop using positive reinforcement.
Are there any side effects of using e-collars?
There is no risk of side effects or harm that can be caused to your dog by using this type of training device. It is completely safe for use for any age, weight, breed and temperament because it has different levels of stimulation.
Why do many dog owners prefer to use e-collars over shock collars?
Because of the effectiveness, multiple features, and convenience people usually go with modern E-collars.
This can help reduce stress on the animal during the process because it doesn’t emit shock. It produces electric signals. It’s safer and more comfortable than a shock collar.
Usually, shock collars are better for certain breeds than others. While this is not the case with the E-collars.
As they have options for different stimulation levels, and different features like beep, vibration, etc. It can be used on different breeds of dogs and of different ages.
Additionally, the e-collar doesn’t emit the shock directly, but it is preceded by a signal. So, you’re neither causing harm to your pet nor to the animals around it. It’s totally safe.
Is e-collar really safe for dogs?
Yes, they are totally safe and comfortable. The stimulation provided by the collar is not direct but is preceded by a beep signal.
At last, all I can say is that there is not much difference between shock collar and e collar because both are used to train your dogs. The only thing I want to mention at last is that both of these devices are not really useful for every dog, so getting consultation from your vet is really important.