Have you ever thought are shock collars safe for humans? Well, it’s important to know that shock collars are not meant to physically hurt. In fact, they are a form of training that helps your dog become more loyal, friendly, and obedient.
Shock collars can be used as a way to stop your dog from doing something he is enjoying but which actually not appropriate. While people deal with shock collars, a question that usually comes into their mind is, are shock collars safe for humans?
They are usually used to exercise your dog’s obedience or to prevent them from going over or running into obstacles.
You can use a shock collar to prevent your dog from chewing or jumping on furniture, to stop your dog from running away, or to keep them from jumping on people or other dogs. This collar works by sending a small electric current through your dog’s skin.
Using the shock collars on dogs demands a lot of care and precautions are taken. If they are not monitored well, they can cause anxiety, fear, and aggression in dogs.
Now, you may have guessed that shock collars can be harmful to humans. Not sure why? We’ll discuss the topic in detail below, if you want to know more, continue reading!
What actually a shock collar is?
The shock collar is usually used to help train dogs to be “good” or “obedient” or to keep them from doing something that might cause them to be “aggressive” towards people or other dogs. It works by emitting an electric shock to the dog’s neck.
Some dogs just need to be gently corrected when they misbehave, while others need firm but effective correction.
With shock collars, you are provided with different levels of stimulations that you can switch between depending on the breed, temperament, and age of the dog.
It is very effective because it mimics the feeling of being given a correction. Even the dogs that are not able to control their impulses will understand that they did something wrong and they will desist from that behavior.
Is it true that shock collars are used to punish dogs?
It is important to use a shock collar for training, not punishment. The dogs can sense you are punishing them and as a result they may become more stubborn, aggressive, fearful or anxious. You can never correct their behavior like this.
Are shock collars safe for humans?
Shock collars are not safe for humans. They can cause a lot of pain, anxiety, and distress to the wearer. It is also important to remember that shock collars are not a substitute for proper training.
The collar should be used as a last resort, and only when other methods of training fail. It is also a good idea to familiarize your dog with a safe training method before trying shock collar training.
Additionally, shock collars can cause physical and psychological damage to your dog’s neck if it’s not used properly.
Now just ponder over what we just said. A shock collar is a tool used to train dogs, but if it is used improperly it can cause physical and psychological damage to dogs. So, as it can be harmful to dogs for which they are designed wouldn’t it be harmful to the humans?
How shock collars can provide harm to humans?
We’ll enlist the reason below for how shock collars can provide harm to humans. Check the list below:
- Some people become addicted to shock collars because they want the feeling of being in control while they are being shocked. Some people cannot stop themselves from wanting to shock themselves and this is an expression of the power shock collars apparently get on people.
- They can not only cause physical pain in humans but also cause physical injury.
- Just like the improper use of them on dogs can cause them to be aggressive, anxious, and fearful, similarly, they put negative effects on human psychology. The shock collars can provide damage our mental health.
- Even our nervous system can be severely damaged by shocks.
The majority of research points to the fact that shock collars cause some form of harm to humans, whether it be physical, psychological, or emotional. It should be strictly avoided by humans and not even be used for humor purposes.
Pros and cons of shock collars for dogs:
When it comes to training your dog, you will always want to start with the basics. The first thing you should understand is that a shock collar is not a toy.
It is a training tool that you can use to correct your dog when he does something that you do not want him to do. A shock collar is a small electric current that is delivered to your dog.
Additionally, remember that a shock collar is not the first and recommended option for training but the last one.
But anyhow it’s a great tool to train dogs and is very popular among dog trainers. It has been equipped with modern features as well which include vibration and beep sounds. Below we will discuss the pros and cons of using shock collars on dogs.
Pros of using shock collars:
- Shock collars let you adjust the shock strength as needed. You can adjust the stimulation levels according to your dog’s temperament, breed, age, and the extent to which they are stubborn in giving up a bad habit.
- Shock collars are very useful to correct dogs for bad behavior such as not listening, not coming when called, or jumping around on people.
- You can easily pack them in your baggage and travel with them.
- Collars are great because they don’t require a large upfront investment. You can purchase one for an affordable amount of money.
- They are not so complex to be used, taking the basic precautions they can be used efficiently to train dogs.
Cons of using shock collars:
- If not used appropriately shock collars can force dogs to act aggressively. They can become fearful or anxious.
- After all, shock collars do pose some pain and harm to dogs, hence correcting their behavior. If you get advice from a professional they would not recommend you shock treatment to be used as a primary tool to train your dog.
- If you want to be able to shock your dog, make sure you are training it in a way that is not aversive. You need to use positive reinforcement, too.
- They can not only cause irritation to the skin but also severely injure the neck of the dog.
- If you’re just trying to give them shocks they can become dependent on shocks to do any action.
Some trainers believe that shock collars are a more accurate way to get an animal’s response to a stimulus. While some believe that it should be considered a last option to deal with the stubborn behavior of dogs.
With many pros and cons, the shock collar is anyway an effective way to train dogs and is widely used by trainers. But this is not the only and preferred way of training.
We also recommend using other ways of correcting a dog’s behavior like positive reinforcement instead of using shock collars.
Best alternatives to shock collars:
A number of ways and techniques can be used as a substitute for shock collar training, and they are categorized as the primary ways of training a dog.
As we mentioned earlier, the shock collar is considered by the trainers to be the last option to train dogs. Check the list below to see the substitutes:
Try Correcting bad behavior:
Pushing for new skills and correcting bad behavior can be effective, but it’s important to use a variety of reinforcement techniques to avoid boring your dog. For example, you can give them a treat when he does his homework, or praise him when he follows instructions.
By using choke collars:
They work by restricting the dog’s range of motion by constricting their neck muscles when the dog pulls on the leash.
Choke collars can be used for a variety of training methods, including positive reinforcement and removing the dog from the situation when they start to pull. They are more comfortable and painless as compared to shock collars.
Give training classes:
There are many different types of dog training classes available, such as obedience, agility, and sport-specific training. Whatever your dog’s interests or training goals, there are classes that will suit your needs.
Most dog training classes take place in a room with other dogs or with their owners. The instructor will help you choose the right type of class.
Clicker training works best:
When used in conjunction with positive reinforcement training, a clicker can be used to reinforce desired behaviors such as sitting, waiting, or even just looking at the clicker.
Clicker training is very useful for dogs who have trouble learning traditional commands because it doesn’t require any prior knowledge or experience on the owners’ part.
How to make sure that the shock collar is working?
First, make sure that you are not breaking any local ordinances by using a shock collar. Secondly, decide on a shock collar and the stimulus level considering the breed, temperament, and age of your dog.
How to use shock collars safely?
Be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions thoroughly. This will ensure that the shock collar is being used in the correct way and that you do not have any accidental shocks administered to your pet. We also have some valuable tips to help you in this regard:
- It is best to avoid using the shock collar whenever you are around children or other vulnerable people. The shock collar is especially harmful to young children, as they are more likely to be attracted to the sound of the collar.
- You must use the lowest setting that is safe for your dog. You’ll then slowly move to the higher setting and stop at the very level where your pet reacts immediately.
- In case the collar is working fine and helping you train the dog plus the dog seems unharmed, then leave it on. However, if the dog shows signs of aggression like growling or running, then it’s best to discontinue using the shock collar.
- Never leave your dog unattended when they are wearing a shock collar. Not only is this dangerous for your dog, but others in your household may also get injured.
- You should also take extra precautions when you are out and about, as this is the perfect time for a dog to be fitted with a shock collar. Stay close to your dog, as they may try to run from you if they feel threatened. Leaving them unsupervised with the collar even for a few minutes can be dangerous for them.
Can I use shock collars on my puppy?
Newborn puppies are too sensitive to shock collars. Even if you think your puppy is old enough to be wearing a collar, you should still use caution.
Puppies are still growing and developing, so they are more sensitive to pain than adults. Moreover, they cannot understand why they are being given a shock.
What law says about shock collars?
While it is legal in some states, others have restrictions on when and where the devices can be used. You cannot use shock collars in a school or hospital setting, or in areas with a large number of visitors.
As it is ethically suitable and wise too, you ought to not use the shock collar to punish your dog in any condition. Shock collars are sole to be used to train the dogs.
In the United States, you can find some states that have put a ban on shock collars, some that allow their use for training purposes, and some that only allow officials to use them on pets that are causing threats to others.
You should check online or you can call the officials to know about the laws in your state regarding shock collars use.
Lastly, don’t get yourself stuck in any such situation. Don’t use the shock collar without confirming that your state allows its use.
We tried to include as much information as could be included in the article regarding are shock collars safe for humans. Basically, shock collars have been designed to train dogs but if not used properly they can prove harmful to them.
So, there is no second thought to the fact that they are also harmful to humans including harm being provided to their physical, mental, and emotional health. Being the last option to train dogs, shock collars are anyway very effective tool for this purpose.